NISD GT/OLC Book Study: Part 1 Reflection, Last Child in the Woods

 

The role of the outdoors in my childhood….

 “Dad, how did the outdoors influence your childhood?” I pose this question to him as we drive SH 24 towards Paris. My dad always tells stories when we drive these roads, and I knew the conversation would stimulate lots of memories and bring a smile to his face, and to mine. Through that, I would be able to answer the question myself that was posing such a challenge for me to answer. I’m “Outdoor Amy” and should be able to give a ton of examples, right? WRONG. But I knew seeing rural Northeast Texas and hearing Dad’s story would jog my memory and connect me to an answer.

    Dad immediately shares a few stories of playing outdoors. He shares two new ones I hadn’t heard before. One about him and his friends riding their horses through the Bottom (Sulphur River bottom), across some land their families had leased and the experience along with that. It involved removing a gate, being gone all day, and when they got home, their Momma was soooo mad. We she found out they had gone all the way to Nelta, she was really mad! Dad also chuckled that this time, his mom had received a phone call from the neighbor that he saw some boys on horseback across (so and so’s) property. “That was when we got the phone. Before we had the phone, we rarely had neighbors tattling on us.”

    Can you imagine? Exploring the outdoors. On horseback. With no phone? Or landline? How amazing is that? And scary in the context (or perceived pressures) we have today?

    Let’s pause for a moment. This is the second time I have read this book. The first was in 2015 at the beginning of my OLC Coordinator journey. It prompted so much change and educational theory in how I would make choices on outdoor experiences for students. This book was timely to me six years ago, but relevant to my learning and leadership now. I can connect more with the research and ideas presented now, than I could have six years ago. (Experiences truly are momentum for learning and change.)

    You might wonder why this has anything to do with the prompt, or again, why so hard to answer? Well, I think because of the active, adult experiences in the “children in nature” movement I have been involved with the past six years, makes the prompt harder for me to connect to my own personal childhood experiences. I have a multitude of “ecstatic” moments in nature as an adult that far outshine those childhood memories alluding me.  But I’ll write on that later. 😊

    My Dad has just finishing sharing a story about trying to trap racoons stealing feed in the barn. I can’t help but think about all the stories in the book parallel to my dad’s. And analyzing those experience for the academic, problem solving, risk taking and SEL enriched learning that happened with this racoon problem, along with all the stories he has shared. (He has a storybook amount of stories and I cannot even write a short essay!)

    I share my dilemma with my dad. That I feel like I didn’t have many experiences outdoor as a kid…..he about choked on his coffee. “Riding bikes, climbing the few trees we ever had, just playing outside…you and your sisters played outside ALL the time!.” He said I loved bugs so much when I was a little girl, that they bought me a net, and a book called “Critters.” He said I was constantly trying to catch bugs and learn about them, and even brought in a wasp one time caught in my net. My dad mimicked how he remembered me holding the net to bring it inside to show my mom, “your Mom didn’t like that at all.

He then asked, “what’s the first memory that comes to mind with being outdoors.”

Rocks. Digging for rocks. Hunting for rocks. Riding my bike trying to carry rocks. Rocks!

    As a Kindergartener I wanted to be a paleontologist. My mom was constantly encouraging me to go outside and dig. So I did a lot of that. I was determined to discover a new fossil. Occasionally the neighborhood kids would join in, but not fervently digging alongside me. Our house was right next to the drainage ditch, and we would have water sometimes after a flood, expose new things. One time, it exposed a giant rock. It seemed huge to me as a Kindergartener, but thinking about it now, it was probably the size of a kid’s lunchbox. One of the neighborhood kids, Robert Weaver, would play with me often, and occasionally dig with me. He helped me discover this huge rock, and carry it to my backyard. Well the next day, my rock was gone! I just knew that Robert Weaver took my rock! Who else would care?

    So, I got on my bike and rode down the street (four houses) and decided to get my rock back. I jumped the fence and found it back there. As I heaved it into my arms, I look up and notice something. In the kitchen window, a man was staring across at me as he slowly raised his coffee mug to his mouth, with a look of, “what is going on here?” And in my panic state of being caught in Robert Weaver’s backyard, by his dad, without permission, I dropped MY rock and bolted.

    My Dad chuckled and said sounds like I found a memory. We of course analyzed it further and discussed how even though his outdoor experiences really were connected to nature and wild things, mine were connected with playing outdoors. Recalling many memories at that moment, many of them involved roaming the neighborhood streets in the rural towns we grew up, played at the park, rode bikes, played basketball and just really, played with our friends outside, raised lambs and hogs, had outdoor pets, and so much more. 

    After our drive I thought about that. I was hung up on the “nature” aspect of the outdoors, and not just the space of the outdoors. I have so many memories with my sisters, cousin Stephanie, friends, and even frenemies, outdoors. Through the lens of “play” I was able to connect more and more of my childhood to that happening outside. This just goes to show how opportunities to any outdoor space can shift, cultivate and foster learning in a multitude of capacities, and as teacher, parents and community members, how can we provide that safely for our kids?

And some day, you should ask me about the “bread” story….

Comments

Popular Posts